Welcome!

Welcome!

We're Glad You're Here!

You've found the blog where the sermons from Open Circle MCC are published. We hope that you will enjoy reading them on the Sundays that it is necessary for you to miss worshipping with us. We missed you and will be glad to have you worship with us. If you are exploring Open Circle MCC, please know that we welcome everyone to worship with us on Sunday mornings at 10:00 a.m. at Temple Shalom, 13563 County Route 101, Oxford (just outside The Villages). Please see our webpage for directions. Please click here to go to that page.



Tuesday, September 24, 2013

No Regrets 9-22-13



God, of mighty power, teach us to see ourselves as part of that power.  Give us courage to dare and strength to last.  May all that I say and all that we share bring more light to the world.  Amen
            Seems there were two farmers standing out at the fence that divided their farms, perhaps chewing on a blade of wheat.  “What,” says Tom, “are ya’ gonna’ plant this year in that field over yonder?  Are ya’ gonna’ plant corn?”  “Nope,” says Jake, “’fraid of the corn bugs.”  “Gonna’ plant taters?” asked Tom.  “Nope,” says Jake, “’too much chance of them ‘tater worms.”  “Well, whatcha’ gonna’ plant?” asked Tom.  “Nothin’,” says Jake.  “I’m playin’ it safe this year.”  We may laugh at Jake, but we may also realize that we may be a little too much like Jake a little or a lot of the time.  Tom and Jake may remind us just a bit of the three workers in today’s parable. 
            Let’s briefly review the story.  A rich man or woman is going away on an extended vacation.  Worker 1 is given five talents.  Worker 2 is given two talents; and, worker 3 is given one talent.  The only rational that is given for the different amounts is that they are given according to each one’s ability.  After a very long time, the rich man or woman returns from the vacation.  The three workers come in.  Worker 1 tells the rich owner that he has invested in a great deal and has doubled his five talents and now has ten.  “Woo-hoo!” says the owner, “way to go!”  I will give you a lot to be in charge off.  Worker 2 also doubled her investment and she tells the owner that she now has four talents.  “You go, girl!  That’s what I’m talking about!  You’ll be up at the top of my list for more responsibility as well”.  The final worker, a shy, timid young man, comes to the owner and says, “you know that you are very demanding and I was afraid of your response if I didn’t do well.  So, I did the best thing—I buried the talent in the ground where nothing could touch it; so, here it is—exactly like you gave it to me.”  What comes next is so surprising that the worker is knocked off his feet in disbelief.  “You lazy, lazy man,” says the owner, “You could have at least put it in a bank where it would have earned the pitiful amount that savings earn these days.  You didn’t even do that.  Your talent will be taken away from you and given to my Ten-Talent Man.  Out with you!”  Well, I have to admit that the first time I read this parable, I didn’t see that ending coming.  You’ve got to sort of like our scared-to-make-a-mistake guy.  We’ve probably all been there.  Playing it safe instead of stepping out to take a risk. 
Now, talents in this story has two meanings:  a ‘talent’ was a measure of money in those days, but talent also means ‘gift’, ‘special aptitude’, or ‘exceptional skill’.  Though the story seems to indicate that, for practical and didactic purposes, Jesus is talking about money, that isn’t necessarily so.  For our purposes here today, the second meaning or that of ‘gift’ is the more important.  Some talents are easier to identify than others.  We may listen to Barb sing and say, “God gave her a great voice” or we may look at Ar’s banners and say, “she has a creative talent.”  We may look at David’s cakes and say, “that really takes talent”; or, look at Genette’s treasurer’s report and note how good she is with keeping records.  We may listen to Paul read the Gospel and reflect on his ability to read with great emotion; or be impressed with Karen not only because of her ability to read and write braille, but also because of her ability to inspire others to get involved in things.  These are all talents.  Every one of us has talents.  Though some might try to argue with me, I believe that there is no one who has not been given at least one talent.  So we are all a part of this week’s story.
I look at the comparison like this—God is not only the source of all our talents, but gives the ownership of the talents or gifts to the Universe to hold for the common good of all that is.  We come along and are loaned talents and gifts to use for that same common good.  Once we have been given gifts, it becomes our responsibility to discover and utilize these gifts so that when this life is over and the Universe holds them again for the next recipient, we return more than we were given; in other words, we will be in a place of “no regrets”.  We have no regrets for not using all our talents and God has no regrets for giving talents to someone who failed to use them to make this earth and the whole of creation a better, more whole, healthier place. 
Let’s think about this in the context of the church.  As you know, we are in that annual time we call by various names with the same end result—our Fall Stewardship Campaign.  Today, we will hand out Estimated Giving Cards for you to take home and reflect and pray over.  You will notice that these sheets are not just about money.  They also include time and talent.  The purpose for your completion of these ‘estimates’ of time, talent, and treasure enable me, the Board of Directors, and Team Leaders to responsibly plan for the year to come.  Today, we are specifically talking about talents.  So, let me tell you how your estimate of the talents you will share with the church helps us.  Right now, we are sorely in need of people to step up and fill leadership positions.  One of the by-products of rapid growth is that the demand for leaders often exceeds the number of people who step forward to lead.  And all of our ministries, from the worship team to the choir to hospitality need additional people willing to serve at some level or another.  Our care team needs more people who feel that one of their talents is caring and ministering to those who need our care.  In order for all the current leaders to know if their ministries can grow, we must know how many of you will decide that this is the year you have decided to give more than just money to this community, you also want to give talents and time.  Just as we want to be financially responsible, we also want to be responsibility with our ministries.  We want to be able to plan with full knowledge of who can be counted on next year.
 Back to our parable—we may want to feel sorry for our third worker.  Not only is he given only one talent; he is severely reprimanded when he fails to meet the owner’s expectation that he be responsible to make something of that talent.  But, we are not to feel sorry for him or to make excuses for him.  Each of the workers was given talents according to their ability—right then and there, our excuses seem to vanish.  The closer I get to the end of my life on this earth, the more I learn about life itself.  And one thing is certain—I do not want to be left with any “if only’s” at the end of my life.  “If only I had done this,” or “if only I had used this talent for the good of the world”.  I hope to come to the end of my life with my talents fully used up and having left the world a better place.  There is a prayer I have adopted as a daily prayer.  It is inspired by a very famous quote from Marianne Williamson.  It seems to be one of the guiding principles of the last half of my life.  This is what I try to pray every morning when I arise.  “God, let this be a day when I am not afraid to play large for all to see.  Let me be used to cause an impact on the world greater than anything I have ever expected.  Use the gifts which you have loaned to me to bring more light to all who need it in this church and anywhere it is needed.”  Now, praying this prayer does not, of course, guarantee that I am going to be able to be used in this way each day.  Things, no, I get in the way, and I take my day back, sometimes almost before it has gotten started.  But, I must be clear about this one thing—I am taking back the talents for that day—I am burying them in the dirt, so they will be there for me to pull out the next day and start again.  I know, that more than anything, God desires that we stop taking our talents and hiding them again and again.  God desires that we play large, take risks, be all that God created us to be.  When we share who we are and the gifts we have,  when we are willing to risk making mistakes or be seen as foolish by some, or step out into places we have never been, we, like the first two workers, are honoring our God in whom we live and move and have our being.  We breathe in courage and we breathe out all that we are for all who need what God has entrusted to us.  And, together we say, “no regrets, use me, use me, use me.”  Amen and amen.   

No comments:

Post a Comment