Welcome!

Welcome!

We're Glad You're Here!

You've found the blog where the sermons from Open Circle MCC are published. We hope that you will enjoy reading them on the Sundays that it is necessary for you to miss worshipping with us. We missed you and will be glad to have you worship with us. If you are exploring Open Circle MCC, please know that we welcome everyone to worship with us on Sunday mornings at 10:00 a.m. at Temple Shalom, 13563 County Route 101, Oxford (just outside The Villages). Please see our webpage for directions. Please click here to go to that page.



Sunday, March 9, 2014

The Opposite of Down Is..... 3-9-14

 Holy God, it’s Lent again and we’re not quite sure how to approach it.  We know that we want to grow more in inner spirit and in showing your love to the world.  Help us stay grounded in you and centered in your heart.  Amen

 

                Welcome to Lent!  Not the desert, deprivation, giving up something you love Lent, but the “how can I best embody the love of God Lent?”  Not that that necessarily means we won’t give something up, like our beliefs that we cannot change the world, or even our lethargy about spending time with God, or anything else that gets in the way of showing God’s light in the world.  This Lent we will be looking at some simple questions to which we may believe we already know the answer.  I’ll be suggesting some different answers that might change the way we live our lives in the world.

                This week we look at the exchange between Peter and Jesus just before Jesus is taken off to be tried.  Jesus is trying to prepare the disciples for what is ahead.  Peter cannot let go of the physical presence of Jesus and promises to lay DOWN his life if Jesus will just take him with him.  Obviously, Peter did not know or understand what was ahead for this man he so much wanted to follow.  Jesus’ response, while some would say is unkind, unfortunately turned out to be true.  Peter’s betrayal which is really no more than many, if not most of us have done along the way, simply shows us that Peter, and we, do not know the meaning of laying our lives down in the manner to which Jesus calls us. 

                So, what is the opposite of down?  In the spiritual life, I believe that the opposite of down is IN.  Take a look at what Rev. Elder Darlene Gardner says about Adam and eating of the apple.  Eating the apple gave him insight inside.  Suddenly, he knew that he, in Rev. Elder Darlene’s words, “would be accountable to God for the impact that his actions would have on others”.  That’s inner work, my friends, and I would suggest that the spiritual practice of Lent, or returning, is all about the inner work of becoming accountable to God and to the world for all our actions.  So, we do not lay our lives down; we open them to receive the inner work of the spirit.

                All three of our readings give us guidance in the inner work that we will undertake during this Lenten period.  Paul tells us, “But now that you’ve found you don’t have to listen to sin tell you what to do, and have discovered the delight of listening to God telling you, what a surprise! A whole, healed, put-together life right now, with more and more of life on the way!  Rev. Elder Darlene writes, “His (and our) eyes were opened to the truth that our attitudes and actions are almost always the sole cause of human pain, suffering, oppression, and exclusion. We have to accept responsibility for this; we have to care. We can no longer close our eyes to what we can now see. We can no longer close our hearts to one another nor deny that the so-called ‘other’ is really just the other part of ‘we’."  And, finally Jesus says, “Let me give you a new command: Love one another. In the same way I loved you, you love one another. This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples—when they see the love you have for each other.” 

                These three passages perfectly lay out the nature of the inner work that we must undertake if we are to grow in spiritual understanding this Lenten period.  First, we learn to and delight in listening to God.  This gives us freedom to hear directly from the source.  And the result?—wholeness in every part of our lives.  How do we learn to listen directly to the source?  We stop talking—talking to others, talking to ourselves, and especially, talking to God.  We give God a chance to talk to us.  Now while I would not pretend to limit the ability of God’s nature to grant us epiphanies, or “aha” moments at any time, even in the midst of a crowd of people, I know for myself that I am more able to hear God when I minimize the distractions so prevalent in my life and in my head.  This eliminating of distractions is a deliberate act.  This is a drawing away from the busyness and business of the day or night and welcoming God’s spirit into our inner beings. 

                If you’ve been reading my blog, “Sanctuary of Leaves”, you know that I have been struggling some with my ability to listen.  Two mantras were given to me and I’m finding them quite useful.  The first mantra places every aspect of my life, outer and inner, in perspective.  “What is, is.”  This implies that I am lovingly accepting where I am in everything at this point.  Struggling to change some aspect of myself or becoming embroiled in some conflict with others, doesn’t matter—when I open my heart to the message of the Divine, what is at that moment is.  I can stop my struggle, set aside my distracting emotions, and just listen.

                The second mantra given to me was “I let it all go”.  Oh, no, you might be thinking.  There she goes about letting it all go.  Been there, done that, and it—whatever the “it” is—just comes flying back into my face before I can say “amen”.  Notice, I didn’t say that this was easy and it’s only a beginning.  But, it might, just might, be worth giving it a try.  When I use these as mantras before meditation, I say to myself “what is, is” on the inhale of breath and “I let it all go” on the exhale.  Focusing on my breath makes it easier to focus on the mantras as well.  Then, I am ready to listen.  It’s hard some days.  One day, I never moved past the mantras, never did get to the place where I felt I could listen, so I just kept repeating the mantras, knowing that God was doing inner work on me in spite of myself. 

                Rev. Elder Darlene tells us that once we have obtained inner knowledge from God, just as Adam did in the eating of that darn apple, we have a responsibility to practice our own spirituality and all of our lives in ways that do not hurt others.  This inner knowledge brings an accompanying accountability.  This welcoming and healing of others that lives in our own inner selves after we receive God’s insight, means that straightway we will be living a life of love.  Jesus expands this relationship between inner truth and outer actions even more.  Living this life of love is the only way that people will know that we are following the teachings of the Spirit of God through Jesus.  We cannot tell people that we love them, we must show them.  God does this first, we are not only told that we are loved, we are given this beautiful land in which to walk, an amazingly complex body in which to embody our insight, and continual communication from God to hold our spirits securely in the Sacred.

                So the opposite of down is not up, it is in.  During this Lenten time, if we can go inside more often than we usually do, we will be rewarded with hearing God.  And, if we are open, we can listen and make our own what God is saying.  Try it with me this week.  Find a quiet place or a place where no one can disturb you.  Shut the ever-present phone off.  Get into whatever position is comfortable for you.  Start with some breathing using the mantras if they appeal to you.  Inhale, “What is, is”.  Exhale, “I let it all go”.  Do this until you begin to feel some space being made in your heart and spirit to listen to God.  When you are ready, continue focusing on your breath and allow your heart to listen.  If your thoughts take you someplace else, come back to breathing with the mantras and focus. 

                You may wonder at the inclusion of such an exercise in a sermon.  I am becoming more and more convinced that many of us are hungry for practices that will bring us closer to God.  Meditation is one such practice.  Lent is a perfect time to introduce some new practices into your spiritual life.  This week we talked about meditation.  Next week we will encounter another spiritual practice that may or may not appeal to you.  Take what feels like it fits and leave the other here. 

Because we are not all the same and a practice that feels comfortable to some may not to you.  So, in addition to having new experiences, we are also practicing inclusivity as we become more comfortable with all kinds of spiritual practices.  This Lent, let us come together as a community and go “inside” to find the truth God has entrusted to our hearts.  In the spirit of openness and unity, we pray together, May it be so.  Amen and amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment