Welcome!

Welcome!

We're Glad You're Here!

You've found the blog where the sermons from Open Circle MCC are published. We hope that you will enjoy reading them on the Sundays that it is necessary for you to miss worshipping with us. We missed you and will be glad to have you worship with us. If you are exploring Open Circle MCC, please know that we welcome everyone to worship with us on Sunday mornings at 10:00 a.m. at Temple Shalom, 13563 County Route 101, Oxford (just outside The Villages). Please see our webpage for directions. Please click here to go to that page.



Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Practice of Hospitality-Part 2 (Outer) 3-2-14


Spirit of Hope, lead us to question deeply and often if we are all you lead us to be.  Use us to welcome the most un-welcome and teach us to open our hearts and arms to save the world.  Amen

            For those of us who live and have always lived in privilege, choosing to understand what it is to be the outsider can be difficult indeed.  Every once in a while the Universe, with her unending sense of humor, teaches me in ways I didn’t expect.  On Friday, I went to Mt. Dora to a Native American Pow-Wow.  I used to travel to the top of Hunter Mountain in the Catskills of New York every couple of years to attend huge pow-wows and spend a full day shopping for sterling silver jewelry.  I was interested to see how this pow-wow differed from the ones I was used to in New York.  I went on Friday afternoon to hear a specific musician and was surprised to see it very sparsely attended.  What that meant is that most of the folks who were there were Native American and I was very, very, well, not.  I felt particularly out of place--different.  Now it helped that many, though not all, of the Native Americans were in some form of native dress or at least aspects of native dress.  I was impressed by the sense of welcome I felt.  Every performer made certain to translate their chants and to explain to those of us who did not share their traditions exactly what they were doing and to explain the beliefs behind the various chants and dances. 

 I wandered through the vendors (and, yes, some habits die hard and I allowed myself to purchase a memento of the afternoon).  As the show kicked into gear, I sat on a bleacher in the beautiful Florida sun under a cloudless sky and began to meditate to the sounds of a wonderful Cherokee flute player.  But, God wouldn’t let me rest on the issue of welcoming and hospitality and so I reflected about what it meant to feel so “different” from the majority of those walking around; yet, so welcome.  And, not surprisingly, I got to thinking about today’s sermon and what I really wanted to say.  I found myself asking if there was really anything new to say.  Though I didn’t count them, I figure this is at least the sixth sermon on hospitality that I have preached in the 4 years since Open Circle first became this circle.  And, yet, I continue to be asked about hospitality and inclusivity and what it means to us as a church.

            Just recently, during the Capital Campaign, I learned that there seems to be a measure of misunderstanding and concern about what is meant when we call ourselves a “radically inclusive faith community”.  What are we missing as a congregation?  What am I missing as your pastor?  And, I realize that, for the most part, those of you who are hearing this sermon are not the folks who seem to be concerned.  But, nevertheless, I think we need to take a second or third or tenth look at this thing called hospitality.  And, perhaps, these thoughts can be shared with those who are missing today.  Briefly, back to my meditative thoughts at the pow-wow—after a while, the singer I most wanted to hear, Joanne Shenandoah, took the stage.  She began talking about Mother Earth and the spirituality that we all share and that we all must share if we are going to save our Mother (Earth, that is).  She sang in words of the Iroquois Nation that I could not understand, but it did not matter.  The feelings of both despair and hope were captured in her voice.  Suddenly, I did not feel different at all.  She had helped me to remember that we all share the same mother.  Funny, she, a member of one of the many oppressed peoples, sought to help me remember our sameness.  With a radical inclusivity born of her understanding that we are all the same, she called me into her sacred circle of hope and passion.

            What is it, then, that keeps us from focusing in on the feeling of being human when we think about welcome, hospitality and inclusivity?  At its truest sense, being radically inclusive means nothing more than being truly human together as we are all human.  At one point, on Friday, when I was listening to one of the many Native American or First Nation musical groups sing, drum and chant, they announced that the next song was a “Trail of Tears” song.  The announcer asked us all to stand in memory of those people who were forced by the US Government to walk from the East Coast, including Florida, Georgia, and North and South Carolina to Oklahoma.  The announcer brought forward two facts that I must have forgotten along the way:  one—the reason why the Native Americans left their lands.  From our place of privilege we might ask, “Why didn’t they just refuse to move? Or just give up and die?”   Native Americans think in terms of seven generations from themselves.  They knew and understood well that, if they did not take the long walk to Oklahoma, that the US Government would wipe out their nations completely.  They did it for the seventh generation—so that, seven generations from then, there would be at least a small contingent of people to pass on the traditions and cultures of those Tribes.  We stood in honor of those brave souls; and, while I did not understand the words of the chant, I could not have missed the feelings if I had tried.  The pain, suffering, and loss came through without mistake.  It was not possible to stand in that hot, Florida sun, and not see, at least for a few seconds, the long winding trail of a people displaced from their land.  Secondly, I must have forgotten that history records that those who led the Native Americans did not follow a Western path to Oklahoma even though Oklahoma is clearly west of the East Coast.  They twisted and turned mostly so that many more of the people would die but also because the White Americans believed that it would be harder for the Native Americans to stay connected to their cultures if they took a circuitous route. 

            I do not, nor do they, remind you of these stories to inflict guilt.  I remind you of them so that you might remember.  For it is in the remembering that we become human.  Jesus cared about very few specific beliefs.  He cared most of all about love and justice and knowing who we are.  He cared about the pain of the Native Americans and he cared about the White European Americans of privilege because he knew that they were alienated from their true nature as children of God.  This is some of what makes Jesus a true “radical” in every sense of the word.  He taught us to care about oppressed and oppressor, healed and healer, listener and speaker.  In our scripture today, John the Baptizer is curious about Jesus.  He sends his disciples to find out if Jesus is “the one”, the messiah, the one they had been waiting for.  Jesus is cryptic in his answer.  He says, “This is what I am doing.  The blind see, the lame walk, lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, the displaced of the earth have God’s salvation hospitality extended to them”.  And then he says, “If this is what you are waiting for, then you are in luck.”  Now, with the benefit of history, we know that this is not what the Jewish people were waiting for.  They were waiting for a king; they got a man who knew that the true nature of love and justice is as radical as it gets.  They were waiting for a military conqueror; they got someone who did not call us to “Charge!”; he called us to “Remember!”—to remember that we are children of all there is—of the one God. 

            This is how we remember our humanity.  This is how we remember what we share, not what sets us apart.  And, once we remember, we cannot help but embrace this radical inclusivity.  To be radically inclusive is merely, and I mean merely, to remember that we are all the same—that any barriers we set up come from us and not from the unity of love we call “God”.   To be radical is to remember.  It is, oh, so easy to forget.  We are schooled in forgetting; we practice it diligently anytime we see the differences of class, race, and culture as more important than the similarities of humanity.   I think back on the words of Joanne Shenandoah on Friday afternoon.  She said something like this, “If we are to survive”—and she meant all of us, not just Native Americans—“we must act and think and be as one people committed to saving our planet, to loving justice, and to acting for peace”.    May we, in this circle, remember.  And in remembering, may we act; and in our acting, may we remember again.  Amen and amen.

             

No comments:

Post a Comment